March 3, 2011

Chocolate Gravy and Biscuits

Note:  The picture and gravy recipe are from Sprinkle Bakes.  The biscuit recipe is mine.



I needed something different to serve for brunch with my book club last year.  Our group had some really amazing and talented cooks.  Brunch was just as important as our book discussions.  When I came across this recipe, I knew I had never had something like this before and decided to give it a try.  I hope to make it again and post pictures.  I made mini biscuits using the top of a little drinking glass I had that was the perfect size.  I hope you give this a try for breakfast sometime.  I don't think you will be disappointed.

Cream Cheese Biscuits:
12 oz. cream cheese - softened
1 cup butter-softened
1 1/2 cup self rising flour

Combine above ingredients by hand or in food processor.  Divide mixture into 1/2 cup portions and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.  Roll out one portion at a time to approximately 1/8" thickness.

Flour work surface and rolling pin.  Cut out bite size biscuits and place on ungreased baking sheet 1 inch apart.  Bake at 425 degrees until light brown. (10 - 12 minutes)



Chocolate Gravy:
4 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
2 tbsp flour
1 cup granulated sugar
1 1/2 cups whole milk
4 tbsp butter
1 tsp vanilla

In a medium sauce pan whisk together the dry ingredients.  Pour in the milk and whisk vigorously to combine.  Heat over medium-high until the mixture bubbles.  Turn heat down to medium and stir until mixture has thickened to a gravy consistency.  Remove from heat and stir in butter and vanilla.


Let cool slightly then transfer to a gravy boat. Serve warm over biscuits.

No comments: