3 oz. unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 cup sugar
2 large eggs, room temperature
2 large egg yolks, room temperature
2/3 cup fresh lemon juice, room temperature
1 tsp. finely grated lemon zest
- Beat butter and sugar until nice and fluffy
- Beat in eggs and yolks, one at a time, at slow speed
- Then beat everything for exactly 1 minute at slow/medium speed (3 on a kitchen aid)
- Take the bowl out of the mixing stand and whisk in the lemon juice - the mixture will look curdled but that is OK, it will all work out.
- Put mixture into a small pot and on low heat whisk everything until it becomes nice and smooth
- Turn heat to medium and continue to whisk the mixture the WHOLE TIME.
- DO NOT let the mixture boil. if you see steam coming off of it, take it off the burner and stir until it cools a bit and then put it back on.
- The mixture is done when it coats the back of a spoon and leaves a path when you drag your finger through it (ouch), better yet, measure the temp - it should be 170 F.
- Remove from heat and stir in lemon zest.
- Scrape into a jar or bowl and press plastic warp on surface to prevent a skin from forming.
- Let cool and enjoy