March 11, 2011

Strawberry and Cream Muffins

This morning I wanted to use up some more of my strawberries.  I was so excited to try this great recipe at www.squirrelbakes.com/  for these delicious muffins.  The only thing I would do different is add more Cream Cheese filling.  I would double what the recipe calls for.  I also used my jumbo six shooter muffin pan which made them much larger.  The filling is so good I wanted more in the muffin..  If you have extra strawberries around this spring, try these muffins.  They are a great way to start the morning.



Streusel Topping
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
2 tbsp firm butter


Muffins
3/4 cup milk
1/4 vegetable oil
1 egg
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup strawberries, cut into small chunks

Filling (Next time I will double this)
4 ounces cream cheese, softened
1/3 cup sugar
1/2 egg (about 2 tbsp beaten)
1/4 tsp vanilla

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line muffin pan with baking cups or grease thoroughly. To prepare filling combine cream cheese, sugar, egg, and vanilla and mix till smooth. Set filling aside.


Combine flour, sugar, and cinnamon for streusel topping, then cut in butter using 2 forks or pastry cutter and combine till coarse crumbs. Set streusel topping aside.

Whisk together milk, oil, and egg for muffin mixture, then add in all flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt only till moistened. The mixture will be lumpy.

Spoon in one tablespoon of muffin mixture into each cup, then top with half of the strawberries, and a tablespoon of the cream cheese mixture.





Spoon remaining muffin mixture into each cup, top with remaining strawberries, and sprinkle streusel topping. Bake for 22-25 minutes. Let cool in pan for 5 minutes and serve warm.



The finished muffin.  They not only taste good, they look good too.

1 comment:

SPARROW said...

Lanell, these look sooooo yummy. I am for sure going to make these. I LOVE STRAWBERRIES. Great recipe.