February 27, 2011

Summer Squash Vegetables

When I was pregnant with my second child, my friend Karen Johnson made this dish for me.  I think I ate the entire thing.  Then I craved this a lot.  It is so delicious and so easy.  I have made it for years now and still love it.

2 lbs. yellow summer squash
1/4 c. onion, sliced
1 can cream of chicken soup
1 cup sour cream
1 cup shredded carrots
6 oz. stuffing mix
1/2 cup butter

*Sometimes I mix 1-lb zucchini squash with  1-lb. yellow squash just to give it a little color

Slice squash and boil just to soft, 5 to 10 minutes in water with onion in it.  (Drain and set aside.)  Mix together soup, sour cream, and carrots.  (set aside).  Melt butter and put stuffing in just until butter is absorbed.  In casserole dish, layer stuffing, sauce, squash, stuffing, sauce, squash and stuffing on top.  Bake at 350 degrees for 25 to 30 minutes.