March 20, 2011

Terra Cotta Cupcake Stands

My own creation

I love to look at recipes at Bakerella.  This is a beautiful blog, with a beautiful author, who is very sick right now.  She posted these delicious cupcakes on these super cute cupcake stands.  I have attached the link.  The price is 6 for 39.99.  Yikes for me.  I wondered if I could make something like them.


http://www.victoriantradingco.com/store/catalogimages/1a/i15408.html

cupcake stands

So, I have been looking and thinking, and looking and thinking.....I needed something washable, non-toxic, and cute.  I finally came up with an idea at a fraction of the cost.  A jumbo size cupcake looks the best in mine, but the various ways you could use them for displays is countless.  Here is what I did.



I got 8 (4 inch terra cotta bowls) and 16 (1 1/2 inch small terra cotta pots), patio paint, my E-6000, my .39 cent brush and I forgot to include in the picture my high gloss mod podge.

4 inch bowl - .89 cents each
1 1/2 inch pot - .59 cents each x 2
Paint 1.79 x2 = 3.58

Total  $2.00 + some change per stand



I took two small pots and glued them together, then I attached it to the bottom of the larger terra cotta bowl.


Next, I put on several layers of paint.  This patio paint said it was great with terra cotta and made for outside weather so I knew it could get wet.  It probably took about 3 coats each stand.  This is my 2nd coat.  I got 2 botttles of paint and each bottle did at least 4 complete stands.

Next, I put on 2 layers of High Gloss Mod Podge just to seal it all together.  I think they turned out really cute.  I made a set of 8.






11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Lanell, these cupcake stands are super cute! They turned out so pretty!

I wanted to share that link with you about the ice cream I told you I made. Here it is, have a great week!

:0)Misty
http://www.kevinandamanda.com/recipes/dessert/easy-homemade-ice-cream-without-a-machine.html

Yvonne@StyleBurb said...

What a great idea! Wouldn't it be so fun to have enough of these to serve to guests at a party...or at a bridal shower!

Lanell said...

Thanks Misty for the compliment. I'm excited to try the ice cream recipe. Thank you Yvonne for your comment. I made a set of 8 because I was thinking the same thing. A small gathering or party, or maybe bookclub. I can easily make more. I just started with 8.

emilysnan said...

hiya visiting from debbies newbie party x what a grea idea for the cake stands adorable and i am thinking of a bunch of them in bright sppring colours x tfs maybe i will see you over at mine soon x
xmaggiex

Daniella said...

These are super cute!!
I'm here from debbie's newbie party, and I'm following you nnow too!!
xxDaniella

Mallory said...

What a cute idea! I did something similiar for a baby shower and used short candlesticks. Came over from Debbiedoo's. I'm a new follower :)

Anonymous said...

These are so cute,great idea! I'm your newest follower!

Pam @ Our Adventures in Home Improvement said...

Very cute! I have admired the cupcake stands for a long time and think your take on them is great!

Thanks for sharing.

I'm visiting from Debbiedoo's party and hope you'll come follow me too.

Have a great day.
Pam

Miss Kitty said...

Hi Lanell! Thanks for looking at my blog. I ADORE your cupcake stands (and I love the price too). Thanks for taking the time to post this tutorial. I am going to be a follower of yours. I live in Alabama but my son married a girl from Chicago so we too go up sometimes to visit there.

Rachel said...

cute idea! I stopped by from Debbiedoos :)

Cindy said...

Great cake stands!
I have painted terra cotta pots before but never thought to stick them together to make a cake stand. Super idea!